Adult Name Change

702 766 6671

McFarling Law Group can assist in obtaining a court order changing the name of an adult.

Any adult may file a petition with the district court where they reside to change their name. The petition must state the current name, new name, reason for the change and whether the applicant has been convicted of a felony. The petition must also contain a statement that the applicant is not changing his or her name for a fraudulent purpose. If the applicant has a criminal record, the petition must be accompanied by a complete set of fingerprints. The applicant must publish notice of the name change request in a newspaper in the county, unless the name change is for the purpose of conforming the applicant’s name with his or her gender identity.

Once a name change order is granted, the court clerk will transmit the information to the State Registrar of Vital Statistics. If the person has a criminal record, the order will also be sent by the clerk to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History to be included in that person’s record.

A name change order may be rescinded upon the court receiving incontrovertible proof that the applicant falsely denied having been convicted of a felony or falsely stated that it was not for a fraudulent purpose.

If you are an adult whose name needs to be changed through a court order, McFarling Law Group can help ensure that all the requirements of Nevada law are met.

If you have questions or would like to schedule a consultation with one of our Las Vegas, Nevada attorneys, please call 702 766 6671 to make an appointment.

Let’s Work Together